By accessing, browsing or using the Site, Users acknowledge that they have read, understand, and agree to the terms and conditions of the Policy. Users agree to the collection, use, and disclosure of User information, including information collected from or about you or the device you use to access the Site (together “Information”) pursuant to the terms of this Policy. If you do not agree to these terms and conditions, please do not access, browse, or use this Site or otherwise provide Information to ICC.
The Information ICC Collects
Information You Provide
ICC may collect information when you use the Site or when you otherwise provide information to ICC. ICC may collect the name, phone and fax number, mailing and billing address, email address, log-in credentials (if you create an ICC account), payment card information (which is processed by third parties), and any other information provided by a User who contacts or interacts with ICC or any of ICC’s representatives through the Site, via email or otherwise, such as when a User: (a) submits an application for membership; (b) submits Information to become a volunteer; (c) submits Information at a seminar or other event; (d) registers for an account; (e) purchases a product through the Site; (f) submits Information through our forums; (g) provides Information to ICC outside of the Site; (h) participates in a sweepstakes, contest, or survey; or (i) engages in any other activity through the Site in which Information is provided to ICC.
ICC may also collect information you provide about your professional expertise and experience, including your title, company name, industry, technical specialty, trade and/or organization(s)/associations(s) to which you belong.
Please note that some parts of our site, such as message boards and advertising listings, allow you to post information that may be publicly viewable and can be collected and used by third parties without ICC’s knowledge.
ICC and certain third parties that advertise or provide other services on the Site may automatically collect certain information about the computer or devices (including mobile devices) you use to access the Site when you use the Site or certain Site services, or click on advertisements on the Site or in ICC periodicals, such as the eNews or Building Safety Journal. ICC and its partners and service providers may collect and analyze the information about the devices that are used to access the Site. This information may include (a) IP addresses, geo-location information, unique device identifiers and other information about your mobile phone or other mobile device(s), browser types, browser language, operating system, the state or country from which you accessed the Site; and (b) information related to the ways in which you interact with the Site, such as: referring and exit pages and URLs, platform type, the number of clicks, domain names, landing pages, pages and content viewed and the order of those pages, the amount of time spent on particular pages, the date and time you used the Site, the frequency of your use of the Site, error logs, and other similar information.
As explained further below, this information is collected passively through the use of certain electronic technologies, such as cookies, web beacons, pixels, clear GIFs, and similar technologies., ICC may use third-party analytics providers and technologies, including cookies and similar tools, to assist in collecting this information. As we adopt additional technologies, we may also gather additional information through other methods.
Browser Cookies: We and certain third-party advertising partners may use “cookies.” Cookies are small pieces of information that are stored by your browser on your device. These cookies may be used: (a) to improve or enhance your experience using the Site; (b) to deliver content, including advertising, specific to your interests; and (c) for other purposes, such as security and administrative functions. For example, cookies are used to store your preferences for certain types of information so that you do not have to input those preferences every time you use the Site. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, though different browsers may address cookies differently. Your browser may enable you to set your device to accept all cookies, to notify you when a cookie is issued, or to not receive cookies at any time. If you set your browser to not accept cookies, it may result in certain personalized services or other features not being provided to you when you use that device.
Web Beacons, Pixels and Clear GIFs: We and our advertising partners may use web beacons, pixels and clear GIFs. These electronic technologies are transparent image files that, if used, allow us and our advertising partners to track Web site usage information, such as the number of times a given web page has been viewed and whether and when you have opened a HTML email, how many times the email was forwarded and which links in the email were clicked. Unlike cookies, these technologies do not place files on your device. We and our advertising partners use information collected through Web beacons, pixels, and clear GIFs to improve and enhance our Site and measure the effectiveness of these communications with you. These technologies may be used in association with cookies to understand how visitors interact with the Site or advertisements made by our advertising partners.
Information from Third Parties
ICC may obtain additional information about you from third parties such as marketers, partners, researchers, data brokers, clearinghouses, and others. We may combine Information that we collect from you with information that we obtain from such third parties and information derived from any other product or service we provide.
Aggregate or De-Identified Data
ICC may aggregate and/or de-identify information collected through the Site or via other means so that the data is not intended to identify you. Our use and disclosure of aggregated and/or de-identified data is not subject to any restrictions under this Policy, and we may disclose it to others without limitation for any purpose.
How ICC Uses the Information
ICC uses the information collected from its Users for the following purposes:
- For the purposes for which you provided it;
- To respond to Users’ questions and/or comments;
- To provide products, services or information to Users;
- To process a User’s purchase;
- To provide a User with details of his or her account status;
- To customize the advertising and content you see on the Site;
- To notify a User about new features of the Site, or products, services, special offers, or other information that we believe will be of interest to a User;
- To perform analytics and research used in marketing, promotion, or similar activities;
- To monitor Site performance and perform analytics and research aimed at improving the accuracy, effectiveness, usability, or popularity of the Site;
- To enforce the legal terms that govern a User’s use of the Site and otherwise establish, exercise, or defend our legal rights where it is necessary for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of others;
- To prevent fraud and other prohibited or illegal activities;
- To administer sweepstakes and contests;
- To ensure that ICC complies with applicable laws, procedures, and regulations which apply to use where it is necessary for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of others.
We may aggregate and/or de-identify any information collected through the Site. We may use de-identified and/or aggregated data for any purpose, including without limitation for research and marketing purposes, and may also share such data with any third parties, including without limitation, advertisers, promotional partners, sponsors, event promoters, and/or others.
Legal Bases for Use of Your Information
The legal bases for using your information as set out in this Policy are as follows:
- Where use of your information is necessary to perform our obligations under a contract with you or in order to take steps at your request subject prior to entering into a contract; (for example, to comply with: our website user agreement, which you accept by browsing the websites/registering; and/or our contract to provide our Site to you); or
- Where use of your information is necessary for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of others (for example, to provide security for our website and applications; operate our business and our Site and its services; make and receive payments; customer service; marketing; analyze and improve our business; comply with legal requirements and defend our legal rights; prevent fraud and to know the customer to whom we are providing the Site and its services).
- Where required by law, and in some other cases, we handle your information on the basis of consent.
How ICC Shares Your Information
How ICC shares information collected in a particular situation will depend on factors including the nature of the information, the purpose and context of the collection, and applicable law. Subject to such factors, we may disclose information that we collect or receive for the purposes described above in the “How ICC Uses Your Information” section and as described below.
- Consent/Action by Users:If ICC has a User’s consent to share any information, it may do so. For example, if a User agrees to have their information posted in the Members Only area of the Site, that User consents to ICC sharing their information with other ICC Members. Similarly, we may allow users to share content with others via email, blog posts or client success stories. We may also share a User’s information to provide that User with services or products that the User has requested.
- Agents and Vendors:ICC may utilize other companies and individuals to perform functions on its behalf, such as marketing new or additional ICC products and services, sending postal and email to Users, transmitting text messages requested by Users, processing credit card payments, fulfilling orders, delivering products and services, and providing customer service. These third parties have access to Information needed to perform their functions, but may not use it for other purposes.
- Sweepstakes and Contests:When you sign up to participate in a contest or sweepstakes, your information may also be provided to our sweepstakes or contest advertisers, operators, or sponsors and the use of that information may also be governed by those advertisers’, operators’, or sponsors’ privacy policies or practices.
- Advertising and Analytics:As described in the section on Online Analytics and Tailored Advertising, ICC also may provide automatically collected information to third parties for purposes of delivering targeted advertisements and performing analytics.
- Protection of ICC or Others:ICC may disclose your information to others if we have a good faith belief that we are required or permitted to do so by law or legal process, to respond to claims, to protect the rights, property or safety of ICC or others, or take action regarding illegal activities or suspected fraud.
- Business Transfers:We may share your information in connection with any actual or proposed merger, reorganization, or sale of some or all ICC assets, or a financing or acquisition of all or a portion of our assets or business by another company.
- Third Parties Providing Relevant and Valuable Products and Services:From time to time, ICC may share your information with other organizations that provide relevant and valuable products or services.
Online Analytics and Tailored Advertising
We may use third-party web analytics services on our Site, such as those of Google Analytics. These service providers use the sort of technology described in Section 1.2 to help us analyze how users use the Site, including by noting the third-party Web site from which you arrive. The information (including your IP address) collected by the technology will be disclosed to or collected directly by these service providers, who use the information to evaluate your use of the Site. We also use Google Analytics for certain purposes related to advertising, as described in the following section. To prevent Google Analytics from using your information for analytics, you may install the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on by clicking here.
Some ICC websites may also offer other tools to control what cookies are placed on your device when using the applicable ICC website. To manage cookies on the International Code Council website (www.iccsafe.org), you may do so here: Manage Cookie Preferences on iccsafe.org
To opt out of Google Analytics for display advertising or customize Google display network ads, you can visit the Google Ad Settings page. Please note that to the extent advertising technology is integrated into the Site, you may still receive advertisements even if you opt-out of tailored advertising, but those ads will not be tailored based on your online activities over time.
ICC may also offer mobile applications in connection with its provisions of services. When using a mobile application, you may also receive tailored in-application advertisements. Each operating system, iOS for Apple phones, Android for Android devices and Windows for Microsoft devices, provides its own instructions on how to prevent the delivery of tailored in-application advertisements. You may review the support materials and/or the privacy settings for the respective operating systems in order to opt-out of tailored in-application advertisements. For any other devices and/or operating systems, please visit the privacy settings for the applicable device or contact the applicable platform operator.
California Do-Not-Track Disclosure Requirements
ICC is committed to providing you with meaningful choices about the information collected on our Site for third-party purposes, and that is why we provide above the Network Advertising Initiative’s “Consumer Opt-out” link, Digital Advertising Alliance’s Consumer Opt-Out Link, TRUSTe’s Advertising Choices page, and the Google opt-out link in this Policy. However, we do not recognize or respond to browser-initiated Do Not Track signals, as the Internet industry is currently still working on Do Not Track standards, implementations and solutions.
The information that is discussed in this Policy will be collected, processed, stored, disclosed and disposed of in accordance with applicable U.S. law. Your information will be processed in the U.S. for the purposes described herein. If you are a non-U.S. User, you acknowledge that we may collect and use your information and disclose it to other entities outside your resident jurisdiction, as discussed in “How ICC Shares Your Information” above. Such third parties may be engaged in, among other things, the provision of services to you, the processing of transactions and/or the provision of support services. By providing us with your information, you acknowledge any such transfer, storage or use. In addition, such information may be stored on servers located outside your resident jurisdiction. U.S. law may not provide the degree of protection for information that is available in other countries. By providing us with your Information, you acknowledge that you have read this Policy, understand it, agree to its terms, and agree to the transfer of such Information outside your resident jurisdiction.
If we provide any information about you to third party information processors, we will take appropriate measures to ensure such companies protect your information adequately in accordance with this Policy. These measures include signing Standard Contractual Clauses in accordance with EU and other data protection laws to govern the transfers of such data. For more information about these transfer mechanisms, please contact us as detailed in the “How to Contact ICC” section below.
If applicable, you may make a complaint to the data protection supervisory authority in the country where you reside. Alternatively, you may seek a remedy through local courts if you believe your rights have been breached.
Data Subject Rights and Your Choices
You may change or correct inaccuracies to certain information collected from you by logging into your account on the Site and making changes to your information. Your account information can be accessed through the “My ICC” links on the Site.
Depending on where you live, you have certain rights with respect to your information as further described in this section.
Your Legal Rights
If you would like further information in relation to your legal rights under applicable law or would like to exercise any of them, please contact us by completing this form below at any time. Your local laws (e.g., in the EU) may permit you to request that we:
- Provide access to and/or a copy of certain information we hold about you;
- Prevent the processing of your information for direct-marketing purposes (including any direct marketing processing based on profiling);
- Update information which is out of date or incorrect;
- Delete certain information which we are holding about you;
- Restrict the way that we process and disclose certain of your information;
- Transfer your information to a third party provider of services;
- Revoke your consent for the processing of your information;
We will consider all requests and provide our response within the time period stated by applicable law. Please note, however, that certain information may be exempt from such requests in some circumstances, which may include if we need to keep processing your information for our legitimate interests or to comply with a legal obligation. We may request you provide us with information necessary to confirm your identity before responding to your request.
Marketing Communications and Sharing
Choices for Use or Sharing of Certain Information
ICC values your concerns about the privacy of your Information. Therefore, we offer you the opportunity to opt out of use or sharing of certain Information.
Any commercial emails sent by ICC will include an option to unsubscribe from further correspondence. In addition, you can always opt-out of receiving commercial emails from ICC here. Please note that even if you opt-out from receiving commercial emails from ICC, you will continue to receive transactional messages, such as messages confirming a product purchase, messages about an event you registered for, and certain essential ICC membership information.
You may also access your “My ICC” profile to change what profile information is displayed to other ICC Members or to the public. Please note, however, that the visibility of some profile information, such as your name and location, cannot be changed through “My ICC.”
ICC is not responsible for the privacy practices of third parties who may send you correspondence. Please review the privacy policies of those third parties and contact them directly if you have any questions or concerns.
Linked Internet Web Sites
The Site provides hyperlinks, which are highlighted words or pictures within a hypertext document, including advertisements that, when clicked, take you to another place within the document, to another document altogether, to another application not controlled by ICC, or to other Web sites not controlled by ICC. These hyperlinked Web sites may contain privacy provisions that are different from those provided herein. ICC is not responsible for the content or collection, use, or disclosure of information collected through these Web sites, and ICC expressly disclaims any and all liabilities related to such collection, use, or disclosure. We urge you to read the privacy and security policies of these third-parties.
Children's Privacy Protection
The Site is intended for general audiences and not for children under the age of 13. The Site is not directed towards children under 13 years of age, and ICC does not knowingly collect any information from children under 13 years of age through the Site. If you are under 13 years of age, you are not permitted to submit information to ICC through the Site. If a child under 13 submits “personal information” (as defined by the United States Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act) through any part of Site without valid parental consent, and we become aware that the person submitting the information is a child, we will attempt to delete this information. We do not knowingly process data of EU residents under the age of 16 without parental consent. If we become aware that we have collected data from an EU resident under the age of 16 without parental consent, we will take reasonable steps to delete it as soon as possible. We also comply with other age restrictions and requirements in accordance with applicable local laws.
Retention of Your Information
We keep your information for no longer than necessary for the purposes for which it is processed. The length of time for which we retain information depends on the purposes for which we collected and use it and/or as required to comply with applicable laws. To dispose of personal data, we may anonymize it, delete it or take other appropriate steps. Data may persist in copies made for backup and business continuity purposes for additional time.
ICC implements measures to protect information that it maintains. These measures vary based on the sensitivity of the information that ICC collects and stores. However, no method of transmission over the internet or means of electronic or physical storage can be completely secure. Therefore, ICC makes no representations or warranties with regard to the sufficiency of its security measures, and any information transmitted to or through the Site is at your own risk.
ICC will notify you in accordance with applicable law in the event of a breach of the confidentiality or security of your information. We may notify you under such circumstances using the e-mail address(es) we have on record for you. You should also take care with how you handle and disclose your information. Please refer to the Federal Trade Commission’s Web site for information about how to protect yourself against identity theft.
Codes and Standards Discussion Forum and eMail Discussion Lists
Certain services provided on the Site, such as the Codes and Standards Discussion Forum and eMail Discussion Lists, are provided by third parties for ICC and its Users. Use of these services is subject to the specific terms and conditions and privacy policies that are provided to a User when signing up these services. Users acknowledge that the collection, use and disclosure of their Information is subject to these policies when using the Codes and Standards Discussion Forum and eMail Discussion Lists.
We may occasionally update this Policy, as noted by the “effective date” at the end of the Policy. We encourage you to periodically review this Policy to stay informed about our collection, use, and disclosure of Information. Your continued use of the Site constitutes your acknowledge of this Policy and any updates.
Your California Privacy Rights
California law permits customers of the ICC who are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, you may do so here or write us:
International Code Council Headquarters
500 New Jersey Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20001
We will provide a list of the categories of personal information disclosed to third parties for third-party direct marketing purposes, along with the names and addresses of these third parties. This request may be made no more than once per calendar year. We reserve our right not to respond to requests submitted other than to the email or postal address specified above. You should put “California Privacy Rights” in the subject line and in your request. You must provide ICC with specific information regarding yourself so that ICC can accurately respond to the request.
How to Contact ICC
If you have any questions about this Policy, you may reach us here.
This Policy was last updated on July 21, 2021.